The oldest portion of the church was built in 1857 from St Marys limestone,
a simple rectangular building.
In 1886 extensive renovations raised the roof and added the square tower,
the buttresses and the west entrance porch.
The architect was William Williams who was also the town clerk,
private banker and the church's choirmaster.
He was also the architect of
Church St Bridge
James Carter House
The parish hall was added in 1907.
Priest: The Reverend Dr. Dalice Sim
Rector at St James since May 2001